
One more thing...society has already begun to corrode...WHY? Because of a LOSS OF VALUES, (or should I say loss of morality). Look at what happened with the housing market and our current economic situation... greed, deception (thank you Emily); the family is already breaking down because of things like pornography, immorality, and divorce. Children are the ones who are suffering from all of this...our future generations; they will suffer because of the bad choices of their parents! I know, I know...gay couples are already rearing children in their homes and we can't necessarily stop that. Ok, BUT accepting a new definition of marriage makes it more ok to live this way and if more people begin to view it as ok, then more people may choose it and then where will we be?
Now, I realize that my point of view is a purely religious one. It's hard for me to separate from that...I believe that my religion extends beyond Sunday worship and trickles into every part of my life. I do not condone gay bashing or unfair treatment of gays....but I do believe that allowing gay marriage will lead to the breakdown of families and thus society. It's a strong accusation, but it's what I feel to be true. I think we will be called upon to take a stronger stand in these latter days ( or should I say last days) to fight for what I believe to be right and good and true. More and more often I believe we will be like those in Lehi's dream...we will be mocked and yes, even hated for standing up for what we believe.
6 comments:
I completely agree with you, i feel the gap between what is right and what is wrong is increasingly growing larger, and I think we are coming to crucial junctions where we have to pick a side and stand up for what we believe. I find it sad when I hear people in the church complaining about the church's stand on Prop. 8, and other issues that have been brought up recently, and i think that it is becoming harder for people to "ride the fence" so to speak, on these issues, because of their increasing importance. I wish people also understood that just because we don't agree with what they believe, such as choosing to be gay, or gay marriage, does not mean that we hate them or are intolerant. it's all so sad to me.
You go Kristi! It is definitely a time to STAND FIRM! We can not afford to do a little we need to be doing our very,very,BEST!
Well said, Kristi. I really agree with the reference to Lehi's dream. I've actually had some of these same thoughts lately...that it's getting harder and harder to sort of ride along with the tide of society, picking and choosing socially acceptable ideas/norms that happen to not run contrary to gospel teaching. We are at a crucial time in the history of this world...will we stand true to the gospel of Jesus Christ, or will we ebb and flow with the philosophies of man and succumb to the subtle arguments, confusion, etc? Being in law, I've just realized that a lot of arguments exist and so often, it's difficult for one judge, or a panel of judges to find the ultimate, correct answer. So, someone makes a decision about what a standard or outcome should be and that is that. Yet, no one really realizes the result of this decision until many years later after the logic has been tried in many cases. However, Heavenly Father's standards are set forth after eons of experience and in adherence with universal principles of truth that He himself must abide by, or else he ceases to be God. Thus, why would we want to trust a philosophy that changes over time vs. one that is constant and never changing?
Granted, polygamy has been at times authorized by God, yet, those periods of time were few and for reasons known to God. Same-sex marriage, on the other hand, has at NO TIME been condoned by God. Thus, the comparison between polygamy and same-sex marriage as both being potentially allowable marital variations in God's eyes just doesn't hold up.
Regardless of whether polygamy was at one time acceptable to God, we must look to what we have been instructed of God at THIS time in the history of the world. Through His prophets God has told us where He stands on marriage, and we need to trust Him and His vision, rather than trusting in the arm (and may I add, "mind") of flesh.
Thanks for your courage to write all that, Kristi. You brought up so many great points. It helped get my own thoughts, beliefs, and feelings in order.
Kristi, I am so grateful for your posts on marriage. (I am loving reading your blog!) You have done an excellent job articulating what is going on in my heart and head as well. Thank you!
Kristi! I have shivers! I loved both of these posts on marriage, and I wholeheartedly agree with you! You have a gift of being able to express yourself well, and I think you're right on the mark!
Post a Comment