Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Who We Are...and What We Can Become


I'm about to be a bit cliche ( I know it and I choose to do it anyway), but I need to express my feelings about some of the things I gleaned from conference. President Uchtdorf's talk at the Relief Society broadcast was so inspiring that I have been pondering it for a while and I wanted to get my thoughts out. What impressed me so much was his desire for us to know who we are as women in the church and what our purpose is on earth.

"Our birthright-and the purpose of our great voyage on this earth-is to seek and experience eternal happiness."

When things in life are hard, happiness sometimes seems so far from what we could ever feel. But when we think about WHO we are...it changes everything.

"You might say, 'I'm not the creative type'....If that is how you feel, think again, and remember that you are spirit daughters of THE MOST CREATIVE Being in the universe. Isn't it remarkable to think that your spirits are fashioned by an ENDLESSLY CREATIVE and ETERNALLY COMPASSIONATE God? Think about it-your spirit is a MASTERPIECE, created with a beauty, function, and capacity BEYOND IMAGINATION."

I agree with President Uchtdorf that I, as a woman, often "undervalue [my] abilities...[and] focus on what is lacking or imperfect rather than what has been accomplished and who [I] really [am]." I am too hard on myself...I see all my faults before ever finding a positive. But how can I read that passage and not be in awe of who I am? I was created by the "most creative Being in the universe"! How can I not have talents and compassion to share when that is where I came from? We are only ordinary if we allow ourselves to think in ordinary ways. Heavenly Father doesn't think us ordinary...and He didn't create us to be ordinary. What is so great is that we are all different...with different talents to share. I always felt I was inadequate because I didn't have an outstanding talent...like singing, or playing an instrument, or being good at sports; but I've come to realize that not all talents can be seen from the outside. Many come from within.

"...the Savior, who, THOUGH A KING, did not seek position, NOR WAS HE CONCERNED ABOUT WHETHER OTHERS NOTICED HIM. He did not bother to compete with others. His thoughts were ALWAYS TUNED TO HELP OTHERS. He taught, healed, conversed and LISTENED to others. He knew that GREATNESS HAD LITTLE TO DO WITH OUTWARD SIGNS of prosperity or position. He taught and lived by this doctrine: "He that is greatest among you, shall be your servant.'"

There's no denying that we all long to be noticed...to feel that we belong, but the Savior was too busy worrying about what others were feeling to ever worry about Himself. I never really thought about it that way before. President Uchtdorf said that when we "IMMERSE" ourselves in service, God will encircle us in the arms of His love. I know that is true. I often, selfishly, feel that I have nothing to contribute or that I am alone. So I've learned from this that I need to step up and be the woman God needs me to be. I need to look at my talents and try to strengthen them instead of put them down. I need to remember that I am a DAUGHTER OF GOD, and that I share some of His traits....His creativity and compassion...and that I can use them to help those around me.

"In the end, the number of prayers we say may contribute to our happiness, but the number of prayers we answer may be of even greater importance. Let us open our eyes and see the heavy hearts, notice the loneliness and despair: let us feel the silent prayers of others around us, and let us be an instrument in the hands of the Lord to answer those prayers."

How bad I would feel to know that because I was only looking inward, I did not see the need of someone who was worse off than me. I am grateful for how much I am loved by my Heavenly Father; I'm grateful to know that I am His daughter, and that I can return to live with Him someday.
(Thanks for indulging me!)

6 comments:

jana jacob said...

Kristi - you are great! Sometimes I think you are writing this exculsively for me to read! I so need to be reminded of this! Thanks...why or why can't we live closer?

Amy said...

I loved reading your thoughts on that talk. You are always so wise. I learn so much from you.

Keri said...

Thank you, you are an answer to my prayers!!! Love you

Margie said...

I saw your post earlier and had to wait until the house was settled down to read through it all. Thanks for sharing your uplifting thoughts. You are FULL of talents that even I can see and I don't see you all that often :)

JoMama said...

Oh, Kristi, I love reading your thoughts! Thanks for sharing! You have been an example to me for so long!

am and fm said...

I SO needed this right now...thank you so much! I wish I could live closer to you to bask in your wonderful spirit...you are a gem! And I will get back to your email soon:)