Okay, so I'm the kind of person who doesn't really let my kids watch a lot of TV. It's not that I hate it, I just think that half of the shows out there are nothing but mind numbing cartoons where all they do is act stupid and call each other idiots (example: Disney's Cars). Don't get me wrong, my kids have watched these shows and there are times when we all need to unwind and enjoy ourselves, but I've found myself wishing for more educational shows that would teach important lessons instead of just providing entertainment. It can't be that hard, right? Enter "Sid, the Science Kid", a new show on PBS for 3-6 year olds (made by Jim Henson), that teaches great things while making it fun. Basically it encourages kids to explore science in everyday settings...they do things like observe, compare and contrast. They teach about measurements, heat, transformation, reversible change, growth, textures, and more. It might sound like a lot for a three year old, but Sam has caught on quickly, and we've been doing all sorts of science projects around the house. This is one of our favorites so far: http://pbskids.org/sid/parentsandteachers/activities.html?frozenFruit. Kudos to PBS for this great new show that allows our kids to gain knowledge and have fun at the same time!
"People are just as happy as they make up their minds to be." - -- Abraham Lincoln
Wednesday, October 1, 2008
"Scientist in the house!!!"
Okay, so I'm the kind of person who doesn't really let my kids watch a lot of TV. It's not that I hate it, I just think that half of the shows out there are nothing but mind numbing cartoons where all they do is act stupid and call each other idiots (example: Disney's Cars). Don't get me wrong, my kids have watched these shows and there are times when we all need to unwind and enjoy ourselves, but I've found myself wishing for more educational shows that would teach important lessons instead of just providing entertainment. It can't be that hard, right? Enter "Sid, the Science Kid", a new show on PBS for 3-6 year olds (made by Jim Henson), that teaches great things while making it fun. Basically it encourages kids to explore science in everyday settings...they do things like observe, compare and contrast. They teach about measurements, heat, transformation, reversible change, growth, textures, and more. It might sound like a lot for a three year old, but Sam has caught on quickly, and we've been doing all sorts of science projects around the house. This is one of our favorites so far: http://pbskids.org/sid/parentsandteachers/activities.html?frozenFruit. Kudos to PBS for this great new show that allows our kids to gain knowledge and have fun at the same time!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
I like the educational shows on tv, I noticed this cartoon also. I like the educational ideas it presents, but I don't like the animation style and a couple other things about it. It is nice to find educational shows out there.
I try not to let my kids watch a lot of TV either, but this looks like a really cute one. That experiment with ice is darling and you are such a cute mom. Thanks for sharing the resource.
It is funny that you mentioned Cars because Lucas likes to watch that show way too much. He asks to watch it all the time.
I agree with your take on cartoons, I can't believe how many times the words "stupid" and "idiot" are used!
Some other great PBS ones are Super Why and Word World, but you probably already know about those ones.
I let my kids watch a ton of TV, it's the only way I can keep them from becoming super geniuses and taking over the world.
:)
I'll have to look for this one, love PBS, hate Cartoon Network, am cool with Playhouse Disney.
ellie loves superWHY. on pbs. super heroes with the power to read. pretty cute if she's going to watch tv!
i have to make sarah get off the computer cuz she loves this playing this game on pbskids.org so much she will stay on forever and never eat or go to bed!
My kids LOVE sid the science kid and super why... such fun shows and so nice that you don't have to worry about anything bad in them.
Post a Comment