Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Family Dinner at Grandma's


Every Sunday when I was young we had dinner at my grandma's. We celebrated every birthday, anniversary, and holiday together. I remember walking in the front door to the smells and sounds of my grandma's house, where everyone was always welcome. She always let me help set the table with her nice dishes and fancy silverware. I still remember the smell of the velvet lined drawers in the hutch, the green shag carpet in the dining room, and the long table that held all of our family. Some of my very best memories are of those times. I have really missed that....but now with my brother here, I have family close by that I can start those traditions with, memories I can begin to build for my children. I don't think there's anything more special I can give them than memories of a loving family building bonds that will last forever.

4 comments:

Keri said...

Ok, can I just tell you, I dreamed about talking to you last night. I have felt so awful scince Sunday, I just wanted to run over and hug you and tell you I am so glad you are back, and I was totally distracted. I dreamt last night that I ran up to you and hugged you and told you. So I felt better. Until this morning when I realized it was a dream. Then I get on your blog and read it. I dont think you realize what a beautiful wonderful person you are. Your spirit is so strong and comes through with everything you say and do. You are amazing. And you make me want to be a better person just being with you. Your posts always make me cry. You are just a sweet spirit, and I love you. Stay strong, I cant wait to see you again and hug you for real!!! Once soccer is over, if it is ok, I would like to visit you on tuesdays again. Love ya!!!

Mrs. B. Roth said...

Traditions ARE so special and important - it has been one of my greatest challenges to make the time and effort to continue and make new traditions for my kids.

For all moms out there - just do it, traditions really are probably some of the most important and memorable parts of childhood. The things we remember best are the special things we did over and over every year.

Nicolio said...

Kristi, You are the greatest, you make the lives of everyone you know so much sweeter. Thank you for your example. Also, thanks for taking me to the mall with you, I really enjoyed it. I love you lots!

am and fm said...

I couldn't agree more to your post and the comments of your friends and family! I too remember traditions at my grandparents with fondness. Before having kids, Kristian and I sat down and talked about the most important traditions we would like to carry on from our families and some new ones we felt were most important. It has been hard sticking to those, but I am grateful that you reminded me how very important they are. Thank you, you are a gem!